Size matters (we always knew that) but it really matters when it comes to portion sizes.
Know what one serving of protein really looks like? You might be shocked, it’s a measly 75 g (2 ½ oz.) or 125 mL (½ cup) cooked fish, shellfish, poultry or lean meat.
Check out what a serving size is according to Canada’s Food Guide:
Vegetables and Fruits
- 125 mL (½ cup) fresh, frozen or canned vegetables or fruit, cooked or raw
- 125 mL (½ cup) 100% juice, vegetable or fruit
- 250 mL (1 cup) leafy raw vegetables (like spinach, arugula, etc.) or salad
- 125 mL (½ cup) cooked leafy vegetables (like spinach, kale, bok choy, etc.)
- 1 piece of medium sized fruit
- ¼ cup (60 mL) dried fruit
- 125 mL) 1/2 cup berries
- 1 slice (35 g) bread or ½ bagel (45 g)
- ½ pita (35 g) or ½ tortilla (35 g)
- 125 mL (½ cup) cooked rice, pasta, couscous, quinoa, bulgur
- 30 g cold cereal (see measurement size on the box of cereal) or 175 mL (¾ cup) hot cereal
Milk and Alternatives
- 250 mL (1 cup) milk
- 250 mL (1 cup) fortified soy beverage, shake well before pouring
- 175 g (¾ cup) yogurt
- 50 g (1 ½ oz.) cheese
- 125 mL (½ cup) evaporated milk
- 175 g (¾ cup) Kefir
Meat and Alternatives
- 75 g (2 ½ oz.) or 125 mL (½ cup) cooked fish, shellfish, poultry or lean meat
- 175 mL (¾ cup) cooked beans
- 2 eggs
- 30 mL (2 Tbsp) peanut butter
- 60 mL ( ¼ cup) shelled nuts
- 150 g or 175 mL (¾ cup) tofu
To learn about how much food you (based on age and sex) should be eating every day click here
Based on Canada’s Food Guide if you are a 19-50 year old female you would need:
Vegetables and Fruits 7-10 servings:
If you have a glass of 100% juice and a banana with breakfast, an apple as a morning snack, an orange and some cut up veggies with lunch, a small salad and two servings of vegetables with dinner, plus some dried fruit as an evening snack you will end up with 9 servings for the day. Make the salad bigger and you will have 10 servings in total for the day.
Grain Products 6-7 servings:
If you have a large bowl of cereal for breakfast, a sandwich for lunch, and 250 mL (1 cup) of pasta or brown rice with dinner and you will end up with 6 servings of grains for the day.
Milk and Alternatives 2 servings:
If you have milk on your cereal and a glass of milk at lunch or dinner you will end up with 2 servings for the day.
Meat and Alternatives 2 servings: over 50 add one more serving to maintain muscle strength
If you have a an egg sandwich for lunch using one egg, two tablespoons (30 mL) of nuts as a snack mid afternoon, and one serving of poultry for dinner you will end up with 2 servings of meat and alternatives for the day. (One egg and 2 tbsp. (30 mL) of nuts are both half servings added up in the day to give you one complete serving of meat and alternatives)