This is one of my favourite summer salads – the combination of quinoa and the amazing blueberry make this dish a nutrient dense gift for your brain and your heart.
Make the quinoa the night before and keep in the fridge for the next day.
The night before:
1 cup (250 mL) water
½ cup (125 mL) quinoa
1 tsp (5 mL) orange zest
2 tbsp (30 mL) fresh orange juice or for an extra hit of orange flavour use orange juice concentrate instead
1 tbsp (15 mL) extra virgin olive oil or cold pressed canola oil
1 tbsp (15 mL) apple cider vinegar
¼ tsp (1 ml) cinnamon
1 tsp (5 mL) freshly grated ginger, optional
2 cups (500 mL) fresh local cultivated blueberries
1 cup (250 mL) chopped fresh parsley
¼ cup (60 mL) diced green onion
4 large stuffed green olives, diced
¼ cup (60 mL) dried blueberries, optional
- The night before cook quinoa. Rinse quinoa in a fine wire strainer/colander under cold running water to rinse off any bitter resins. Place in a medium pot, add water, bring to the boil, cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 15-20 minutes, remove from heat, and fluff with a fork and let sit for 10 minutes. After it is cooked, cool, place in a container with a lid and store in the fridge overnight.
- Serving day: Scrub orange and dry. Using a microplane zest the orange. Whisk together the dressing ingredients in a large bowl: the orange zest, orange juice or orange juice concentrate, oil, vinegar, cinnamon, and ginger, if you are using it.
- Toss in quinoa till well coated.
- Rinse blueberries well under cold running water. Let drain. Place on a paper towel to dry. Sort through and remove any stems.
- Wash and spin dry parsley. Blot on a paper towel or clean tea-towel. You don’t want to have wet herbs or the salad will be soggy.
- Chop parsley into small pieces – between a dice and a mince.
- Add parsley, onion, and green olives. Toss well.
- Add blueberries and toss well. Add dried blueberries, if using, toss well and serve.
Makes approx. 4 cups (1 L)
One serving= 1 cup (250 mL) One serving contains: 174 Calories, 5.5 g Total fat, 0.6 g Sat Fat, 0 g Trans Fat, 63 mg Sodium, 28.7 g Carbs, 6 g Fibre, 8.6 g Sugars, 4 g Protein
Diabetes Food Choice Values Per Serving: 1 ½ Carbohydrates, 1 Fat
One serving with added dried blueberries contains:198 Calories, 5.5 g Total fat, 0.6 g Sat Fat, 0 g Trans Fat, 65 mg Sodium, 34.5 g Carbs, 7 g Fibre, 13.9 g Sugars, 5 g Protein
Diabetes Food Choice Values Per Serving: 2 Carbohydrates, 1 Fat
Recipe from: Healthy Starts Here!