The Christmas holidays are rolling in and with it comes food, food, and more food!
You can choose taking a hike on your health or not! It really comes down to personal choices and some great recipes as your arsenal against going crazy this holiday season.
Because you can make great choices and still have decadent treats.
To help you in the dessert department I created this after-dinner morsel to serve instead of dessert!
What! No dessert? Well sort of….
Let’s face it we’re all too full after the pre-dinner nibbles, appetizers, and the main course, so why not serve a fabulous little morsel with coffee instead of a huge calorie laden artery clogging full blown dessert? Your guests will thank you and so will your heart!
Easy to make and even easier to eat, these morsels are decadently delicious and healthy! Not an oxymoron!
Pairing up omega-3 fatty acid rich walnuts with flavanol rich dark chocolate and cocoa nibs make these the perfect heart healthy after-dinner treat to serve with coffee!
1 cup (250 mL) walnut pieces
¼ cup (60 mL) minced crystallized ginger
¼ cup (60 mL) cocoa nibs
100 g (3.5 oz) really good dark chocolate – between 70% – 75% cocoa mass
- Line a baking sheet with waxed paper and set aside.
- Mix together the walnuts, minced ginger, and cocoa nibs in a medium bowl.
- Break chocolate up into chunks, place in a small saucepan, and melt over low heat. When two thirds of the chocolate has melted remove from heat and stir until all of the chocolate has melted.
- Pour over walnut mixture. Make sure to scrape all of the chocolate out of the saucepan using a rubber spatula, you need every bit!
- Mix until the walnut mixture is well coated with the chocolate.
- Drop by tablespoons onto the waxed paper. Makes 14.
- Let set for approx 15-20 minutes. Serve to raves or store in an airtight container for up to 1 week. If they last that long!
Serving size? Well if you’re really being good – you may have one. But I give you permission to have two! I’m not even including the nutrient breakdown – its a treat! Happy Holidays!