November 25, 2017

The Gift of Time

Two cowboys

About ten years ago, with the Christmas present countdown veering me right into Stressville, it suddenly became very clear that buying my husband more stuff was verging on insanity. I mean, really who needs more stuff?

Me: “Honey, are we crazy? Let’s stop giving each other Christmas presents and start giving each other dates.” (As any card-carrying Type A Female would have said)

Scott: Pause, another pause. “I’m in.”

And low and behold Monthly Date Night was born.

For the singles or the newly married out there who are still in the raptures of love, Date Night probably sounds, in short, lame or maybe even silly.
But for we long suffering marrieds, Date Night, is exciting.

Imagine making time for each other to go and do the stuff you did when you were, in fact, dating. Going for ice cream, a movie, or a romantic dinner?
Ever since that Christmas Epiphany Scott and I have been celebrating Date Night twice a month.

We take turns picking the date. We’ve been to burger places and non burger places like Canoe during Toronto’s Winterlicious. (Guess which one I picked)

We should become film critics, we’ve seen that many movies.

This year we are planning on seeing more live theater.

Sometimes it’s just ice cream at Ed’s and wandering around the Boardwalk in the Beach. Sometimes it’s a glass of wine and some cheese at Local 1794 and sometimes we plan a bigger date night and end up going to a Dude Ranch in Cranbrook BC. (that was about 12 date nights!) Or this year when we went to Scotland.

And it’s been wonderful, because the dates really became more about reconnecting and falling in love again, than the actual movie or meal or the trip.

All we really have is time to share. Stuff never really makes you happy, but relationships and memories do.

I wished I’d come up with this years ago, although I wouldn’t have gotten that Shop Vac that he bought for me one Christmas, seriously, he bought me a Shop Vac.

Here’s to another year of Date Nights and new adventures.

Peace, love and fibre,

12 Comments on “The Gift of Time

donna woodhouse
November 25, 2017 at 3:47 pm

Mairlyn, what a wonderful idea. My hubby and I have been married more than 40 years. I’m quite sure he doesn’t want another shirt and I guarantee I don’t need all-season tires again (yup, a gift from him one Christmas!). Also, health issues abound. So, sharing more time together as “dates” sounds perfect. God bless, and have a jolly holiday date this season with your S.O.

November 27, 2017 at 5:15 pm

Donna, I laughed out loud about getting snow tires! I hope you both have a fabulous date night soon.
Peace, love and fibre,

Mairlyn Smith
December 22, 2017 at 11:44 am

I still giggle about that!
Peace, love and fibre,

Linda Tyler
November 26, 2017 at 12:40 am

You are so cool! Just had to say so ????????

November 27, 2017 at 5:14 pm

And Bless your Heart for saying!
Peace, love and fibre,

Linda
November 26, 2017 at 7:04 am

My husband and I used to do this each and every Saturday night when our 4 children were still young. I was a full time stay at home Mum who really worked at her job. That once a week getaway was a life saver for sure. On Tuesday the 28th of this month, it will be our 53rd wedding anniversary and I’m certain that finding the time for those weekly date nights was one of the things that helped keep our marriage working back in those crazy busy days!

November 27, 2017 at 5:14 pm

I love this story! Thank you so much Linda for sharing, and Happy Anniversary!
Peace, love and fibre,

Lorraine Murdoch
November 26, 2017 at 10:37 am

I love having tea with my daughters every time I can get them both together. I love tea with my friends too. I search out different places in Ottawa that have afternoon teas. The Chateau Laurier is one of the best. You must try it next time you are in Ottawa. Hope you enjoyed your tea with your friends! Merry Christmas!

November 27, 2017 at 5:12 pm

I love the Tea at the Chateau Laurier as well. Have a wonderful Christmas!
Peace, love and fibre,

Mairlyn Smith
December 22, 2017 at 11:45 am

I had tea there a million years ago, I think its time for another visit!
Peace, love and fibre,

Barb
December 4, 2017 at 9:32 pm

I was curious to find out what Dude Ranch you went to in BC?

Mairlyn Smith
December 22, 2017 at 11:43 am

We went to Three Bars Ranch in Cranbrook heres the link https://www.threebarsranch.com/
Peace, love and fibre,