1/3 cup (75 mL) dried red lentils
1 cup (250 mL) water
1 cup (250 mL) all-purpose flour
1 cup (250 mL) whole wheat flour
2 Tbsp (30 mL) natural wheat germ
1 Tbsp (15 mL) baking powder
1/4 cup (60 mL) unsweetened applesauce
1 ½ cups (375 mL) skim milk
2 omega-3 eggs
1 tsp (5 mL) pure vanilla extract
1. Add lentils and water to a to a small sauce pan; cover, bring to the boil and stir. Reduce to simmer and cook uncovered for about 15 to 20 minutes, until lentils are very soft. Use a wire sieve to drain any remaining liquid. Set aside and cool to room temperature.
2. In a large bowl, combine flours, wheat germ and baking powder.
3. When the lentils are cooled, take a separate, medium bowl and whisk together the applesauce, milk, eggs, vanilla and lentils.
4. Add liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients. Whisk together until combined. Batter should be thick with small lumps.
5. Preheat oven to 250°F (120°C). Place a cooling rack on top of a large rimmed baking sheet.
6. Let batter rest while waffle iron preheats.
7. Once waffle iron is hot, lightly brush both sides with canola oil.
8. Add 1/3 cup (75 mL) batter to each side of the waffle iron, close the lid and cook until waffles are golden brown, about 5 minutes.
9. Transfer waffles to wire cooling rack, cover with foil, place in the oven to keep warm and continue cooking remaining batter.
Makes 12 waffles
One serving = 2 waffles (without toppings)
Per serving: 256 calories,3.5 g Fat, 0.8 g Sat. Fat, 0 g Trans Fat, 201 mg Sodium, 42 g Carbohydrates, 4 g Fibre, 5 g Sugars, 0 g Added Sugars, 13 g Protein Carbohydrate Choices: 2 ½
This recipe was created by: Trevor Arsenault P.H.Ec.