Recipe from: The Vegetarians Complete Quinoa Cookbook (Whitecap 2012)
Recipe created by: Jan Main PHEc
Makes 8 cups (2 L)
One serving = 2 cups (500 mL)
1 cup (250 mL) red quinoa, rinsed and drained
2 cups (500 mL) vegetable broth
2 tbsp (30 mL) canola oil
1 leek, cleaned, trimmed, white part only, sliced into thin coins
1 onion, chopped
4 oz (125 g) cremini or white mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 tsp (10 mL) dried thyme leaves
1 tsp (5 mL) ground sage
One -350 g package extra firm tofu, cut into ½ inch (1.5 cm) cubes
½ cup (125 mL) pecan halves, toasting is optional
½ cup (125 mL) dried cranberries
¼ tsp (1 mL) fresh cracked black pepper
¼ cup (60 mL) finely chopped fresh parsley
- Place the quinoa in a medium/large pot; add water and bring to boil; cover over medium/low heat for 15-18 minutes. The quinoa is done when the grains are translucent and all the water has been absorbed. Fluff with fork, remove from heat and let stand 5 – 10 minutes. Remove lid and let quinoa cool while the vegetables are cooking.
- Meanwhile, heat a separate medium saucepan over medium heat. Add oil, leeks, onion, mushrooms, garlic, tofu, thyme and sage. Stir well. Cook covered 5 – 10 minutes stirring occasionally until vegetables are wilted.
- Stir hot vegetable mixture into cooled quinoa together with pecans, dried cranberries, and pepper.
- Sprinkle quinoa mixture with fresh parsley and gently fold in.
- Serve immediately. Alternatively, cover and refrigerate overnight.
- To re-heat, sprinkle with ½ cup (125 mL) warm water and heat in 350°F (180°C) oven about 25 – 30 minutes or until warm or microwave until warm.