Makes – 6 cups (1.5 L)
Serves = 1 cup (250 mL)
½ cup (125 mL) whole grain quinoa, well rinsed and drained
1 cup (250 mL) water
1 lb (500 g) fresh local asparagus, rinsed, trimmed
2 cups (500 mL) snap peas (5oz), rinsed, and drained
½ cup (125 mL) chopped cilantro
½ cup (125 mL) chopped parsley
½ cup (125 mL) finely chopped chives
¼ cup (60 mL) green pumpkin seeds, dry roasted salted
1 tbsp (15 mL) lime zest
¼ tsp (1 mL) freshly cracked black pepper
¼ cup (60 mL) fresh lime juice
2 tbsp (30 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- Place the rinsed quinoa in a small saucepan; add water and bring to boil; cover, reduce heat to medium/low and cook for 12 – 15 minutes. The quinoa is done when the grains are translucent and all the water has been absorbed. Fluff with fork, remove from heat and let stand covered for 5 – 10 minutes.
- Add 1 inch (2.5 cm) of water to a large saucepan. Place steamer basket inside, add prepared asparagus, bring to a boil, cover with lid, and steam for 3-5 minutes.
- Half fill a clean sink with cold water, when the asparagus is cooked to your desired doneness, using tongs remove asparagus stalks and place in the cold water (Tada! You have just blanched asparagus) Remove cooled asparagus from water and place in a strainer to drain.
- Meanwhile: remove tops from snap peas and cut into 1 inch (2.5 cm) pieces. Set aside.
- Prepare dressing: In a small bowl whisk together lime juice and oil.
- Prepare Salad: In a large bowl, toss together cooled quinoa and the salad dressing. Add asparagus, snap peas, cilantro, parsley, chives, and pumpkin seeds. Toss well. Add zest and cracked pepper, toss and serve.