I love the different varieties of eggplant available at my local farmer’s market. No need to salt – they’re all young and tender!
1.5 lb (750 g) assorted varieties of eggplant
2 -4 large cloves garlic
12 sun dried black olives, pits removed
4 large sun dried tomatoes packed in olive oil
¼ cup (60 mL) fresh basil loosely packed
- Preheat BBQ on high. Make sure the grill is clean.
- Place peeled garlic into a foil package and place on the top rack of your BBQ, close lid. If you don’t have a top rack place the garlic in the corner of the BBQ.
- Slice eggplant into ½ inch thick slices (1 cm). Place onto grill and close lid, reduce heat to medium.
- Turn eggplant in about 5-8 minutes or when they are getting soft and have grill marks on them. Close lid and grill for 5-8 more minutes.
- Remove from grill and place into a bowl. Check to see if garlic is soft. If it isn’t put back on the BBQ until it is!
- Mince together the olives, tomatoes and capers. Chiffonade the basil (slice into ribbons) and add to the mixture, rough mince together.
- Place the softened garlic into a small bowl and mash up with a fork. Add oil and continue mashing until smooth. Stir in minced olive mixture (tapenade). Let sit for at least 15 minutes and up to 30 minutes for the flavours to develop.
- Add to eggplant and toss. Serve.
Makes enough for 6-8 servings.