Makes 5 cups
1 ¼ cup per serving
Serve this side dish with your favourite protein for a full meal dinner.
To make this a vegetarian main meal add 1 can of small brown lentils.
1 cup cooked wheat berries – see professional home economist tips below
2 Tbsp canola oil or extra virgin olive oil
1 onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, diced
One – 454 g/16 0z. package cremini mushrooms, wiped or gently rinsed and thinly sliced
2 carrots, scrubbed well and diced
1 stalk celery diced
1 Tbsp dried thyme leaves
¼ tsp freshly cracked coarse black pepper
1/8 tsp table salt
1 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- You need 1 cup of cooked wheat berries. I cook double batches of wheat berries and freeze them. For cooking instructions, check out the professional home economist tips below.
- Place a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil, onion, and sauté until they start to turn golden. Add garlic and breifly saute. Add mushrooms and avoid sauteing, you don’t want to bump them in the pan, bumping promotes mushroom anarchy causing the water to be released, and then you end up steaming the mushrooms not browning them. You want browned mushrooms for this recipe.
- When the mushrooms are browned, add carrots. Sauté until the carrots reach your desired doneness. Add celery and continue sautéing until tender. Add thyme, pepper, salt, and sauté until the herbs and seasoning are incorporated. Add cooked wheat berries and stir in until well incorporated and heated through. Add soy sauce, mix well and serve.
Makes 5 cups
One serving = 1 ¼ cups
Professional Home Economist Tips:
How to Cook Wheat Berries
1 cup rinsed wheat berries + 2 cups water + 3½-quart saucepan + 35 to 50 minutes = about 2½ cups cooked wheat berries
- Add water and wheat berries to the saucepan. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to medium-low. There will be bubbling but not a rapid boil. Cook for 35 to 50 minutes. Do not let boil dry—check three-quarters of the way through to make sure there is still water in the bottom of the pot. When the water has been absorbed, remove it from the heat and leave covered for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork. Store covered in the fridge for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
How make this a vegetarian main meal
- Add one can of cooked lentils, rinsed and rained when you add the wheat berries in Step 3. Heat through and serve.