Makes – 8-16 pieces
This giant whole grain quick bread is easy to make and tastes like a biscuit. Serve it with soup or chili or just as is.
2 ¼ cups whole wheat flour plus extra for kneading, approximately ¼ cup
½ cup natural wheat germ
½ cup ground flaxseed
½ cup oat bran
¼ cup medium grind whole grain cornmeal
2 Tbsp dark brown sugar
1 ½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
¾ cup 0% MF plain Greek yogurt
¾ cup milk (skim of 1% or unsweetened soy milk)
1 omega-3 egg
¼ cup canola oil
- Make sure the rack is in the center of the oven. Preheat oven to 375F.
- Line a rimless baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl whisk together the dry ingredients: flour, wheat germ, flaxseed, oat bran, cornmeal, brown sugar, baking powder and baking soda.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the wet ingredients: yogurt, milk, egg and oil.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until all the flour is mixed in. It will be wet looking. Add more flour 2 tbsp at a time, kneading the dough in the bowl until it isn’t sticky. I usually add ¼ cup flour in total, but depending on how you measured or how dry your flour is you may use more or less.
- Shape into a ball and place on the prepared pan. Flatten out using your hands into a cylinder shape approximately 1 ¼ inches thick x 8 inches wide.
- Gently score the top of the bread with an X.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown on the top and bottom. Remove from the oven, remove from pan and place on a cooling rack. Serve warm or at room temperature. I cut the bread into wedges using the X as a guide.
I’ll be making this Live on my Facebook Fan Page mairlyn.smith Wednesday, November 3 at 8 pm ET