A great way to use cooked brown rice as well as a vegetarian alternative to meatballs! Send them off with some Ranch style salad dressing to use as a dip.
You really need a food processor for this one.
1 medium carrot, scrubbed well and chopped into 1-inch pieces
1 shallot, cut into quarters
1 clove garlic
3 mushrooms, cut in half (I used Cremini but white are great as well)
½ tsp (2 mL) ground cumin
½ tsp (2 mL) ground coriander
½ tsp (2 mL) paprika
½ tsp (2 mL) dried basil leaves
1 cup (250 mL) cooked brown rice, long, medium, or short grain
1 tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
One – 19 fl. oz. (540 mL) black beans, drained and rinsed
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Lightly spray or oil a 24 cup mini muffin pan.
- In a food processor, pulse the carrot until it is in tiny pieces, looks like a fine grate.
- Add shallot and garlic, and continue pulsing until the shallot is also in small pieces.
- Add mushrooms, pulse until in tiny pieces.
- Add cumin, coriander, paprika, basil and rice. Pulse until blended.
- Add oil and beans. Pulse until well blend but not that it looks like mush!
- Scoop out 20 veggieballs into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes or until the veggieballs are firm. Serve or store in the fridge for school lunches.
One serving = 5 veggieballs.
One serving contains: 252 Calories, 5 g Total Fat, 1 g Sat Fat, 0 g Trans Fat, 200 mg Sodium, 42 g Carbs, 10 g Fiber, 2.9 g Sugar, 12 g Protein