I have tweaked the iconic Shepherd’s Pie by adding more fibre rich vegetables and lentils to my standard recipe that uses ground turkey or ground beef.
Not only does this tweak add those much needed veggies and plant based proteins, it extends your protein and helps reduce your grocery bill.
As a big believer in all things local, I love supporting our local farmers. Every time you choose a locally grown or produced food you support the farmers and our economy.
Family friendly and easy to make, I adapted the recipe from Makes it Super.
3 large sweet potatoes – see step 2
½ cup (125mL) buttermilk or yogurt, I use 0% MF Greek yogurt
¼ cup (60mL) fresh parsley, chopped, optional
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tbsp (15mL) canola oil
1 large onion, diced
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb (454 g) package ground turkey
3 large carrots, scrubbed well, diced
2 cups (500 mL) small mushrooms, sliced thinly OR button mushroooms cut in half
2 Tbsp (25mL) tomato paste
1 Tbsp (15 mL) smoked paprika
2 tsp (10 mL) chili powder
¼ cup (60mL) BBQ sauce, Chili sauce or ketchup
2 Tbsp (30 mL) whole wheat or all-purpose flour
1 ½ cups (375 mL) unsalted or sodium reduced chicken broth
1 cup (250mL) fresh or frozen peas (if using frozen, do not thaw)
One – 540 mL (19 fl oz) can lentils, drained and rinsed well
¼ tsp red pepper flakes
Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375ºF (190ºC). Lightly oil a 13″ x 9″ baking dish or use parchment paper to line the pan.
- You have 2 choices here: Choice #1 Prick each sweet potato several times with a fork and microwave no more than three at a time until tender (approx. 4 minutes for each potato). Remove skins and place potatoes in a large bowl. Add remaining topping ingredients and mash well. Set aside. OR Choice #2 Scrub the potatoes well, cut into 2 inch chunks, place in a steamer basket, add water, cover and steam until tender. Approxiamtey 10 minutes. Drain. Mash (including the peel) with the remaining topping ingredients, set aside.
- In a large skillet, on medium-high, heat oil. Sauté onions until transparent, add garlic and sauté for 30 more seconds.
- Add ground turkey and sauté until meat is cooked and starting to brown. Add carrots and mushrooms. Sauté for 3-4 minutes. Add tomato paste and BBQ, Chili Sauce or ketchup sauce. Add smoked paprika and chili powder. Add flour and blend well. Add chicken stock. Continue cooking until mixture starts to thicken, approx. 5 minutes. Add lentils and red papper flakes., stir in well. Cover and cook for 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in peas. Remove from heat.
- Scoop the turkey mixture into the prepared baking dish and spread evenly. Top with the sweet potato mixture, spreading evenly to cover the entire dish. Baked uncovered for 40-45 minutes or until ingredients start to bubble up the sides, and the top starts to brown.
Makes: 6-8 Servings
Professional home economist tip:
Feel free to sub out the ground turkey and use extra lean ground beef.
Feel free to add an extra cup of frozen peas, it will bump up the fibre.