I made this on Breakfast TV one morning and the crew gobbled it up. A true testimonial – eating beans at 8:00 a.m.; it’s was either delicious or the crew were out of their minds. I’m going with it was delicious.
1 Tbsp + 1 tsp (20 mL) canola oil or extra virgin olive oil, your call
1 large onion, diced
2 large carrots, scrubbed well and chopped into 1/2 inch chunks
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 – 28 fl oz (796 mL) can diced tomatoes
1- 19 fl oz (540 mL) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
2 cups (500 mL) lower sodium chicken stock
1 ½ (375 mL) cups water
4 cups (1 L) chopped kale, spinach
¼ cup (50 mL) whole wheat rotini
½ tsp (2 mL) red pepper flakes
¼ tsp (1 mL) freshly cracked pepper
2 Tbsp (30 mL) fresh basil, chopped
2 Tbsp (30 mL) balsamic, optional
- Heat a large pot over medium heat; add the oil and the onion and sauté till almost cooked, approx. 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the carrots and the garlic. Sauté for 3 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the tomatoes, beans, chicken stock and the water.
- Bring to the boil. Add the kale, whole wheat rotini, red pepper flakes and pepper. Bring back to the boil, cover, reduce heat to simmer and cook for 8-10 minutes or until the pasta is just cooked.
- Add the basil and balsamic if using, stir and serve. If desired sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
Makes – 10 cups (2.5 L)
Serves – 6 – 1 ½ cups (375 mL) serving
Each 1 ½ cups (375 mL) serving contains: 210 Calories, 4 g Total fat, 0.5 g Sat Fat, 0 g Trans Fat, 490 mg Sodium, 33 g Carbohydrates, 10 g Fiber, 10 g Protein