I use liquid egg whites for this recipe. If you choose to use fresh eggs, either make a lemon curd with the leftover yolks or add them to an omelette for some extra protein.
8 egg whites or 1 cup liquid egg whites, shake the carton well
1 cup granulated sugar
2 tsp pure vanilla extract or almond extract
6 cups sweetened or unsweetened shredded or flaked coconut
4 oz. Dark Chocolate, melted
- Make sure the rack is in the middle of your oven. Preheat to 325°F. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper, set aside.
- Pour the egg whites into the bowl of a stand mixer. Whisk on High or 12 until frothy.
- Add sugar, gradually, ¼ cup at a time, when thick add vanilla or almond extract. Beat in.
- Change to the paddle attachment, slowly add coconut about 1 cup at a time mixing on Low until incorporated. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Scoop out 2 teaspoonfuls of the batter using an ice cream scoop with a release button or use two teaspoons, onto prepared pan and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the outside is a golden brown. Let cool on the cookie sheet for 3 minutes, gently transfer to a cooling rack.
- When all are baked and cooled, drizzle with melted chocolate, I use a spoon, allowing the melted chocolate to fall off the spoon in a thin line.
Makes 52 cookies
Tip: To melt chocolate: break chocolate into small pieces, place in a small saucepan and heat over low heat, stirring occasionally until almost melted OR microwave for 20 seconds increments until almost melted. Remove from heat or microwave and let sit until fully melted. Stir and drizzle over cookies.