3 large roasted red peppers – I used bottled
1 cup (250 mL) light ricotta cheese
1 cup (250 mL) grated light Monterey Jack cheese, 4 oz. (125 g) divided
One – 19 fl oz (540 mL) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 tbsp (15 mL) chili powder
1 tsp (5 mL) ground cumin
1 cup (250 mL) fresh or frozen corn, thawed
8 – small 100% whole grain whole wheat tortilla shells – they are the soft ones not the hard ones
1 cup (250 mL) deli fresh salsa – mild, medium, or hot
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Line a 9×13-inch (3.5 L) casserole pan with wet parchment paper.
- If using bottled red peppers, drain and then coarsely chop and set aside. If using homemade, just chop.
- In a medium bowl, using a large spoon, mix together the ricotta and ¾ cup (175 mL) Monterey Jack cheese. Reserve the extra ¼ cup (60 mL) of the Monterey cheese and set aside, no nibbling.
- In a food processor grind the black beans, chili powder, and the cumin together. Don’t puree the mixture. You want some of the beans to remain whole. If you don’t have a food processor – use a potato masher, all you need is a little elbow grease.
- If using frozen corn, place in a colander and rinse under cold water, until just thawed. Set aside to drain.
- Place one tortilla on the counter. Spread evenly with ¼ cup (60 mL) bean paste, go right to the edges.
- Spread evenly with ¼ cup (60 mL) of the cheese mixture, go right to the edges. Sprinkle with one heaping tablespoon of the corn.
- Evenly top with one-eighth of the red pepper and roll up like a tight cigar. Place into prepared pan seam side down. Line them up like little soldiers.
- Repeat with the rest of the tortillas.
- When all of the eight tortillas are in the pan pour the salsa over top, spread out evenly using a spoon, sprinkle with the reserved ¼ cup (60 mL) cheese and then pop the pan into the oven. Bake for 40 minutes.
- Here’s the tricky part – you have to let it sit for 10 min. before you cut it up OR it will fall apart.
Makes 8 servings
One South of the Border Roll Up contains: 273 calories, 7.7 g total fat, 3.8 g sat fat, 0 g trans fat, 583 mg sodium, 35.2 g carbs, 7 g fibre, 6 g sugar, 17 g protein