Symptoms for celiac disease can be similar to other diseases which is why it is so important to get the correct diagnosis.
Don’t let Dr. Google be your physician, please see your GP first. In the past the screening process has been difficult but now a simple blood test is becoming available to help with this process.
For the facts check out the Canadian Celiac Association.
Check out the recipes below that I demmed on Breakfast TV in Toronto and for a list of foods to avoid if you are hosting a gluten free dinner plus another pasta dish.
Shrimp with Lemon – Gluten Free
One box gluten free pasta, I use Barilla’s penne
2 Tbsp (30 mL) extra virgin olive oil, divided
2 onions, diced
One – 400 g package raw, peeled large shrimp, thawed
¼ cup (60 mL) capers, rinsed
8 cloves garlic, minced
1 lemon, zested and then juice the lemon, reserving juice
1 cup (250 mL) chopped Italian flat leaf parsley
1. Heat a large pot of water over high heat on to boil.
2. Have all of your ingredients, prepped and ready to go, cooking a pasta dish the Italian way is all about fresh delicious seasonal ingredients and timing.
3. Cook the pasta according to the directions on the package. Put timer on for 8 minutes. (the pasta will cook in the boiling water and finish cooking in the shrimp mixture)
4. Heat a large non-stick pan over medium heat; add 1 Tbsp (15 mL) of the oil and onions, sauté for 3-5 minutes until soft.
5. Add shrimp and sauté until the colour start to change to a darker pink.
6. Add capers and garlic, sauté for 1 minute.
7. When the pasta has boiled for 8 minutes, reserve ¼- ½ cup (60-125 mL) of the hot pasta cooking water.
8. Drain the pasta well and add to the shrimp. Toss in well. Add lemon juice and toss well.
9. Taste for doneness, if the pasta is al dente remove from heat, drizzle with the rest of the oil and sprinkle with parsley and the lemon zest. If the pasta is not al dente cook over medium heat for 1-2 minutes, then drizzle with remaining oil. Toss gently. Tip: If the pasta looks dry add some of the reserved pasta water.
Per Serving: 317 Calories, 6.3 g Total Fat, 1.1 g Saturated Fat, 0 Trans Fat, 296 mg Sodium,
63.3 g Carbohydrate, 3.7 g Fibre, 3.2 g Sugars, 14.6 g Protein