4 omega-3 eggs
½ cup (125 mL) skim milk or organic soy beverage
1 tbsp (15 mL) ground cinnamon
½ tsp (2 mL) pure vanilla extract, optional
½ cup (125 mL) walnuts, finely chopped
¼ cup (60 mL) orange marmalade, reduced sugar
2 bananas, sliced lengthwise
8 slices 100% stoneground whole wheat bread OR 100% whole grain whole wheat bread
1 tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
1. In a flat bottomed bowl or pie plate beat egg, milk and cinnamon together. Set aside.
2. Lay all eight slices of bread on the counter in pairs of two.
3. Spread the marmalade equally between the slices of bread, it works out to be about 1 Tbsp per sandwich.
4. Sprinkle walnuts on one slice only.
5. Top with sliced banana. Place second slice of bread on top so the marmalade is touching the banana. you now have a sandwich.
6. Press down lightly. Place into egg mixture. Let soak then gently flip over and let the other side of the bread soak up the remaining egg mixture.
7. Heat a non stick pan over medium heat.
8. When pan is hot add oil, place the sandwiches into pan and cook one side till golden brown, flip and cook remaining side until golden brown and the egg mixture has been cooked through, approx 5-8 minutes in total. You may have to adjust your heat to medium low.
9. Serve as is or with a small amount of real maple syrup. I think its sweet enough without the maple syrup, my husband disagrees!
Nutrient Breakdown Per Serving:
497 calories, 17 g total fat, 3 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat, 18 g protein, 71 g carbohydrates, 24 g sugars, 6 g fibre, 549 mg sodium.
Excellent source of thiamin, riboflavin, folate, vitamin B12, vitamin D, magnesium, iron and zinc.
Cooking for one?
I did the math, here’s the recipe to serve one:
1 omega-3 egg
2 tbsp (30 mL) skim milk or soy milk
¼ tsp. (1 mL) ground cinnamon
2 tbsp. (30 mL) walnuts, finely chopped
1 tbsp (15 mL) orange marmalade, reduced sugar
½ banana, sliced lengthwise
2 slices 100% stoneground whole wheat bread OR 100% whole grain whole wheat bread
¼ tsp (1 mL) canola oil