Quick, easy, using simple ingredients, mostly local, it’s the Italian way.
2 cups (500 mL) rotini pasta, I used Barilla Plus in the recipe
10 anchovies – bottled or in a tin packed in oil, drained well, chopped into small pieces
4-6 cloves garlic, minced and set aside
4 cups (1 L) grape tomatoes, cut in half
2 cups (500 mL) seasonal green vegetables or a combo of: peas (leave whole), chopped zucchini, chopped arugula, chopped asparagus, chopped green beans
Fresh basil, oregano, and or Italian flat leaf parsley – as little or as much as you like
Drizzle of 100% Italian extra virgin olive oil – see note in bold below
1. Bring a large pot of water to the boil.
2. Meanwhile have all of your ingredients prepped and ready to go. Once the past goes into the pot you have exactly 8 minutes to cook your dinner.
3. Okay, pasta is in, bring back the water back to the boil and go….
4. Heat a large skillet over medium heat.
5. Add anchovies, sauté for 1 minute.
6. Add grape tomatoes and sauté for 2 minutes or until starting to get soft.
7. Add garlic and continue sautéing for 1 minute.
8. Add green veggies and sauté for 2-4 minutes or until desired tenderness.
9. Drain pasta and add to the skillet. Toss well.
10. Plate and tear basil or whatever herb you are adding over the top. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil. See note in bold below.
Makes 8 cups (2 L)
One serving = 2 cups (500 mL)
Nutrient breakdown per serving (without drizzle of extra virgin olive oil) = 210 calories, 5 g total fat, 0 g sat fat, 427 mg sodium, 37 g carbs, 5.7 g fibre, 10 g protein
Add 2tsp (10 mL) of extra virgin olive oil as a drizzle per serving & add 80 calories, 9 g total fat and 1.5 g sat fat per serving.
To read the story about my trip to Tuscany including the information about extra virgin olive oil click here.