Quick, easy, simple ingredients, its the Italian way of cooking.
2 cups (500 mL) rotini pasta
10 anchovies – bottled or in a tin packed in oil, drained well, chopped into small pieces
4-6 cloves garlic, minced and set aside
4 cups (1 L) grape tomatoes, cut in half
2 cups (500 mL) seasonal green vegetables or a combo of: peas (leave whole), chopped zucchini, chopped arugula, chopped asparagus, chopped green beans
Fresh basil, oregano, and or Italian flat leaf parsley – as little or as much as you like
Drizzle of 100% Italian extra virgin olive oil – see note in bold below
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil.
- Meanwhile have all of your ingredients prepped and ready to go. Once the past goes into the pot you have exactly 8 minutes to cook your dinner.
- Okay, pasta is in, bring back the water back to the boil and go….
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add anchovies, sauté for 1 minute.
- Add grape tomatoes and sauté for 2 minutes or until starting to get soft.
- Add garlic and continue sautéing for 1 minute.
- Add green veggies and sauté for 2-4 minutes or until desired tenderness.
- Drain pasta and add to the skillet. Toss well.
- Plate and tear basil or whatever herb you are adding over the top. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil. See note in bold below.
Makes 8 cups (2 L)
One serving = 2 cups (500 mL)
Nutrient breakdown per serving (without drizzle of extra virgin olive oil) = 210 calories, 5 g total fat, 0 g sat fat, 427 mg sodium, 37 g carbs, 5.7 g fibre, 10 g protein
Add 2tsp (10 mL) of extra virgin olive oil as a drizzle per serving & add 80 calories, 9 g total fat and 1.5 g sat fat per serving.
To read the story about my trip to Tuscany including the information about extra virgin olive oil click here.