Watermelon Appetizer for One
I first had this app at the Lake Jo Club in the Muskokas and since then have Mairlynized it. It is all about how much you want – so use as much as or as little of any of the ingredients as you want or instead of winging it check you can out the recipe farther down the page
Serves 1 – but just keep multiplying until you have apps for everyone.
- Arrange cubed or cookie cut out shapes of watermelon onto a large plain white or black plate
- Sprinkle with fresh mint leaves, torn or finely chopped
- Sprinkle with finely chopped fresh chives
- Sprinkle with crumbled goat feta
- Sprinkle with balsamic reduction* (see below) or you can buy a balsamic glaze at higher end grocery stores
- Sprinkle with freshly cracked pepper
*Balsamic reduction: in a small saucepan over medium/high heat bring ¼ cup (60 mL) to a boil, reduce by 1/3, remove from heat and cool, you should have approx 2 tbsp (30 mL)when it has cooled. Store any extras in the fridge. May have to reheat if it is too thick or add more regular balsamic to thin it out enough to pour.
For a measured out recipe:
Mairlynized Watermelon App for One
This is the version with the amounts:
1 medium size watermelon, chilled, cut into 1/8th – see below
1 tbsp (15 mL) fresh and finely chopped or torn mint leaves
1 tsp (5 mL) fresh and finely chopped chives
2 tbsp (30 mL) goat’s milk feta cheese
2 tsp (10 mL) really good balsamic vinegar or for a stronger flavour and for all of the foodies out there make a balsamic reduction – use the same amount
Cracked pepper to taste, optional
- Wash and cut the watermelon into quarters. Cut around the edges to release the watermelon from the rind. Slice into slices. Half of a quarter will serve one person.
- Place onto a plate – white looks amazing.
- Sprinkle with mint and chives.
- Sprinkle with feta.
- Drizzle with balsamic or balsamic reduction, sprinkle with cracked pepper if desired and serve.
Here’s a picture from BT Toronto