Recipe can be doubled. Just prep a larger pan.
2 Ambrosia, Honeycrisp or Gala apples, scrubbed well
¼ cup whole wheat flour
¼ cup large flakes rolled oats
2 Tbsp. brown sugar
1 Tbsp. wheat germ
¼ tsp cinnamon
2 Tbsp. oil – a neutral oil like canola
¼ cup dried cranberries
- Make sure the rack is in the middle of the oven. Preheat to 375F.
- Line an 8×8-inch pan with parchment paper for an easier clean-up.
- Remove stems from apples. Cut the apples horizontally. Using a small spoon scoop out the centre core, don’t scoop out too deeply, you just want to get rid of the star shaped core area and any seeds.
- In a small bowl mix together: whole wheat flour, rolled oats, brown sugar, wheat germ, and cinnamon. Using a fork stir in oil and mix until the topping looks wet.
- Hold the apple and place 1 Tbsp of dried cranberries into and on top of the sliced apple.
- Scoop out a heaping ¼ cup of the topping mixture, place on top of the dried cranberries and press the topping firmly down. Place in prepared pan and continue with the other three halves.
- Add ½ cup water to the bottom of the pan, making sure you don’t pour the water on top of the topping. Aim for the bottom of the pan.
- Bake for 55 minutes or until the apples are cooked through. If you prefer a softer baked apple bake longer, check for extra browning.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for at least 5 minutes before serving, longer is this is for kids.