This braised vegetable and white bean stew was inspired by fellow recipe developer Irene Matys. Check out her Instagram page for more inspiring pictures and recipes.
Not a parsnip fan? Feel free to substiute green cabbage for the parsnips. I used cabbage for the photo.
You’ll need an oven friendly 3 qt. covered skillet for this recipe.
See Professional Home Economist tip below to make this vegetarian.
1 Tbsp canola oil
1 onion, diced
6 cloves garlic, minced
6 anchovies, diced – see Professional Home Economist tip below
1 ½ cups chopped tomatoes OR one-398 mL can of tomatoes
2 ¼ cups cooked white kidney beans or one- 540 mL can white kidney beans, rinsed and drained
2 large carrots, scrubbed & chopped into chunks = 3 cups
2 parsnips, scrubbed & chopped into chunks = 2 cups chopped OR 1/2 green cabbage chopped = 4 cups
3/4 cup vegetable broth or stock
2 Tbsp. tomato paste
12 pitted kalamata olives
3 cloves garlic
¼ cup parsley
2-4 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, your call
Zest of one lemon
- Make sure the oven rack is the in the centre of the oven. Preheat to 350°
- Heat an oven proof 3 qt. skillet or shallow Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add oil and onions, sauté until golden in colour.
- Add garlic and anchovies, sauté for about 1 minute or until the anchovies start to dissolve.
- Add carrots, parsnips or cabbage and the cooked kidney beans and stir in well.
- In a small bowl or measurinbg cup mix together broth and tomato paste and pour into skillet. Bring to the boil, cover and turn heat off. Cook in the oven for 1 hour and 30 minutes (depending on how big you chopped the carrots this could take up to 2 hours) or until the carrots and parsnips or cabbage is very soft.
- Meanwhile make the Gremolata: Chop olives coarsely, add garlic and continue chopping. Add parsley and continue chopping until the three ingredients are very finely chopped. Place in a small bowl – add oil, zest & mix well, store in the fridge until serving time.
- When the vegetables are soft remove the stew from oven and let sit for 5 minutes.
- To serve: Divide equally between 4 bowls. Top each with ¼ of the Gremolata. Serve with or without whole wheat bread, naan, tortillia or pita.
Professional home economist tip:
To make this vegetarian omit the anchovies and add 1-2 tbsp. canola oil when you add the carrots and parsnips or cabbage. when serving sprinkle with feta cheese.