What do you serve for dessert after you’ve eaten every chocolate egg and bunny in your house? Mairlynized Lemon Mousse.
This healthier version of my favourite lemon curd and whipped cream dessert is tart, creamy smooth, and only has 3.2 g Total Fat per serving versus on average 30 g Total Fat per serving of most homemade lemon curd/mousse recipes. I may have reduced the fat but I didn’t reduce the flavour.
Mairlynized Lemon Mousse
You need a yogurt without added gelatin to make thickened yogurt. Try Astro’s line of Bio Best or Original Yogurt with No Gelatin or Iogo.
1- 650 g container plain fat free yogurt, no gelatin added
3 coffee filters
- Either the night before serving day or the morning of serving day line a medium wire mesh strainer with the coffee filters.
- Set over a bowl. Pour in yogurt, cover, and place in fridge either overnight or for at least 6 hours. The water will drip out into the bowl leaving you with a thickened yogurt.
Low Fat Lemon Curd
Makes 2 cups (500 mL)
1 cup (250 mL) for the recipe and 1 cup (250 mL) for the next time.*
Zest of 3 lemons, set aside – See Cheater Candied Lemon Peel
1 ½ cups (375 mL) white granulated sugar
3 tbsp (45 mL) cornstarch
¾ cup (175 mL) fresh lemon juice, approx. 3 large lemons
2 large Irresistibles omega-3 eggs
2 tbsp (30 mL) unsalted butter
2. Cheater Candied Lemon Peel: Toss lemon zest with 2 tbsp (30 mL) white granulated sugar and set aside for 3 hours or up to 1 day.
3. Place a medium wire mesh strainer over a medium bowl, set aside.
4. In a medium saucepan whisk together sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice and eggs.
5. Turn heat to medium low and stir until the mixture comes to the boil.
6. Reduce heat so the mixture is gently boiling, stirring constantly for 3 minutes, you need to make sure the cornstarch is cooked.
7. Remove from heat and stir in butter until melted.
8. Pour hot lemon mixture through strainer. Pour strained lemon mixture into a heat proof jar, cover with a lid and store in the fridge for up to 1 week.
9. Remove thickened yogurt from fridge. Discard any liquid in bowl. Place the thickened yogurt in a medium bowl, remove coffee filters and discard. Lightly whisk.
10. Remove lemon mixture from fridge, it will have thickened. The yield is 2 cups (500 mL). We only need 1 cup (250 mL). Remove 1 cup (250 mL) save the rest for up to 1 week
11. Fold 1 cup (250 mL) of lemon curd into thickened yogurt till well incorporated.
12. Spoon into ½ cup (125 mL) dessert bowls. Garnish with Cheater Candied Lemon Peel. Serve.
Nutrient Breakdown per ½ cup (125 mL) serving:
222 Calories, 3.2 g Total Fat, 1 g Sat Fat, 0 Trans Fat, 103 mg Sodium, 42 g Carbs, 0 Fibre, 7.2 g Protein.
*If you are serving a crowd, double the yogurt to be thickened and add to the entire recipe of Low Fat Lemon Curd.