Makes 12 servings
Don’t let the pumpkin in the recipe mislead you. These muffins don’t have the faintest hint of pumpkin flavour. They are chocolate all the way.
1 cup (250 mL) buttermilk
1 cup (250 mL) pure pumpkin purée
1 cup (250 mL) dark brown sugar
½ cup (125 mL) oat bran
1 omega-3 egg
1 cup (250 mL) whole wheat flour
¾ cup (175 mL) ground flaxseed
½ cup (125 mL) natural cocoa powder
2 tbsp (30 mL) wheat germ
2 Tbsp (30 mL) cinnamon
1 ½ tsp (7 mL) baking powder
1 tsp (5 mL) baking soda
¼ cup (60 mL) chopped dark chocolate; M & M’s baking bits, or mini chocolate chips at least 60% cocoa mass, 70% is best
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C.) Line a muffin pan with paper cup liners.
- In a medium bowl, beat together all the wet ingredients. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, using a fork or a wire whisk, mix together all the dry ingredients.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Scoop into muffin cups. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until done.
Each muffing contains: 200 Calories, 5 g Total Fat, 1 g Sat Fat, 0 g Trans Fat, 180 mg Sodium, 38 g Carbs, 5 g Fiber, 6 g Protein