Jacket Potatoes are baked potatoes with an assortment of toppings; from grated cheese and sour cream to a tuna sauce with dill. My Jacket Potatoes use leftover chili as the main topping or a can of beans with tomato sauce, it really depends on what you have in your fridge or pantry.
Several years ago for my son’s sixteenth birthday, I cashed in all of my travel points and we flew to London, England for a mother and son adventure. I figured he was still young enough to want to spend some time with me, before his high school life got too busy, and it wasn’t cool any more to be seen with his mommy.
We walked what seemed to be about 3,000 km that week and did London. Everything from Speaker’s Corner to High Tea, and many visits to Lillywhites, a sports shop where my son spent most of his money. The trip was an “awesome” experience.
The only thing that my points didn’t cover was food, and eating in London was fairly expensive, until we discovered shops selling Jacket Potatoes. Here’s my spin on this popular and healthy dinner option.
To serve four:
4 small baking potatoes (Russets) or sweet potatoes
2 – 398 mL cans beans with tomato sauce, heated (or use homemade leftover chili, approx. 1/2 cup/125 mL per potato)
½ cup (125 mL) fresh deli salsa, mild, medium, or hot
¼ cup (60 mL) strong grated cheddar cheese
½ cup (125 mL) fresh chopped cilantro, optional
½ cup (125 mL) thinly sliced green onions
Hot sauce, if desired
- Preheat oven to 350 °F (180 °C) or use a microwave.
- Scrub potatoes well and pierce with a fork.
- Bake or microwave 4 potatoes until they are cooked through. Microwave, approx 12-20 minutes. (Oven bake 1-1 ½ hours)
- Cut each potato in half; gently squeeze the ends together to make the potato open up. You are making a potato receptacle, okay a bowl. Spoon over approx. ¾ cup (180 mL) of the beans into each potato.
- Top each with 2 tbsp (30 mL) deli fresh salsa.
- Sprinkle each with 1 tbsp (15 mL) grated cheese.
- Sprinkle each with 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped cilantro and green onion.
- Sprinkle with hot sauce if using. Serve.
One Jacket Potato = to one serving which contains: 335 Calories, 7.3 g Total Fat, 2.9 g Sat Fat, 0 g Trans Fat, 351 mg Sodium, 57 g Carbs, 9 g Fiber, 6.7 g Sugar, 13 g Protein