½ cup (125 mL) unsalted non hydrogenated margarine (see baking note below)
½ cup (125 mL) dark brown sugar, packed
¼ cup (60 mL) granulated white sugar
1 omega-3 egg
1 tsp (5 mL) pure vanilla extract
¾ cup (175 mL) whole wheat flour
½ cup (125 mL) large flake oats
¼ cup (60 mL) oat bran
1 tbsp (15 mL) wheat germ, natural
½ tsp (2 mL) baking soda
¼ cup (60 mL) chocolate chips at least 60% cocoa mass or 70% cocoa mass chocolate chunks
- Make sure that the rack in your oven is in the middle. Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, cream the non-hydrogenated margarine. I use an electric beater. Beat in the brown and white sugars until well blended.
- Add the egg and vanilla; beat until it turns a light beige colour and is light and fluffy.
- Beat in the whole wheat flour, large flake oats, oat bran, wheat germ, and baking soda. Stir in the chocolate chips or chunks until well distributed.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonful onto the cookie sheet. Use a heaping teaspoon or a mini scoop. In the picture I made the cookies twice that size, and got 20 large cookies.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes for the mini version and bake for 10-11 minutes for the bigger version. Let cool for at least 4 minutes before removing them from the pan. Finish cooling on a wire cooling rack. Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 2 months.
Makes – 42 cookies using a level 2 tsp (10 mL) mini scoop or free style with a teaspoon
One serving = 2 cookies OR 1 of the larger version cookies, like in the picture.
One serving contains: 111 Calories, 6 g Total Fat, 1.2 g Sat Fat, 0 g Trans Fat, 33 mg Sodium, 13.8 g Carbs, 1 g Fiber, 8.1 g Sugar, 2 g Protein
I used Becel’s unsalted stick margarine in these cookies. I am not working for them, I just think they came up with a neat idea for easy baking with non-hydrogenated margarine.
Professional home economist tip:
I use a hand held mixer when I make cookies. If you are using human locomotion, really stir and mix well.
This recipe first appeared in Healthy Starts Here! (Whitecap 2011)