5 cloves garlic, minced and set aside
1.75 lb (.790 g) skinless boneless chicken thighs OR chicken breasts
2 medium onions, cut in half and then sliced thinly
8 oz. (227 g) package cremini mushrooms
1 tbsp (15 mL) fresh thyme OR 1-2 tsp dried thyme
1 Tbsp (15 mL) grainy Dijon mustard
¼ tsp (1 mL) freshly cracked black pepper
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add chicken and brown on both sides, approx. 3-6 minutes per side.
- While the chicken is doing its thing, gently wash mushrooms under running water. Let drain in a colander, pat dry, and slice in half and set aside.
- Once the chicken has browned from the pan, place on a clean plate, cover, and set aside
- Add onions to the pan and sauté for 3-5 minutes until a dark brown. (you shouldn’t need to add any fat to the pan if you are using a non-stick) Push them over to the side of the pan and add the mushrooms. Let them fry for 3-5 minutes or until they have browned. Don’t be tempted to bump them around. Just let them be. Two rules to live by: Never wake a sleeping baby and never bump a frying mushroom. Make sure you don’t let the onions burn as they continue to cook on the other side of the pan.
- Add reserved chicken and any juices that were on the plate. Add the garlic and thyme. Spread the chicken out and cover with a tight fitting lid, reduce heat and simmer for 10-20 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Internal temperature should be 165°F (74°C).
- Remove chicken from the pan and add the mustard. Stir in well. If there is a lot of liquid, turn the heat up to medium and reduce. When the sauce it thickened, spoon over the chicken. Makes four servings.
Makes four servings
One serving contains: 264 Calories, 11.6 g Total fat, 3 g Sat Fat, 0 g Trans Fat, 288 mg Sodium, 12.7 g Carbs, 1 g Fiber, 2.4 g Sugars, 28 g Protein
Diabetes Food Choice Values Per Serving: 1 Carbohydrate, 4 Meat and Alternatives