Watermelon BBQ Marinade
I got the original idea from watermelon.org and gave it a Mairlyn tweak. For more recipes and everything you ever wanted to know about watermelon, check out their site.
½ cup (125 mL) watermelon juice
½ cup (125 mL) balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp (15 mL) pure maple syrup or brown sugar
¼ cup (60 mL) lower sodium soy sauce
1 tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
2 tbsp (30 mL) grainy Dijon mustard
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp (10 mL) red pepper flakes
Whirl about 2 cups (500 mL) of watermelon in a blender = instant juice. Any extra? Drink
- In a medium bowl: whisk together watermelon juice, vinegar, maple syrup or brown sugar, soy sauce, oil, Dijon, garlic, and red pepper flakes. Reserve ¼ cup (60 mL) for basting. Pour the rest over vegetables, chicken, pork, fish or shellfish to marinate. I like to use re-sealable plastic bags.
- Reseal the bag, or cover and refrigerate several hours or overnight.
Greek Style Marinade for Chicken From Healthy Starts Here! (Whitecap 2011)
My go to marinade for chicken! I make this all summer.
6 cloves garlic, minced and set aside
Zest of 1 lemon
¼ -1/2 cup (60-125 mL) fresh lemon juice
1 tbsp (15 mL) dried oregano leaves
2 tbsp (30 mL) canola oil
½ tsp (2 mL) cracked black pepper
- Whisk together the lemon juice, dried oregano, oil, and the cracked pepper. Add the garlic and lemon zest.
- Pour over chicken into a medium resealable plastic bag or in a non metallic casserole dish. Gently press the air out and reseal the bag. Massage the bag to make sure the marinade is coating the chicken. If you are using a casserole dish, make sure the marinade is coating the chicken. Cover the dish, and spoon marinade over top of the chicken every so often.
Grilled Spicy Watermelon
Makes 8 servings 2 slices each
Transform watermelon from sweet to savoury with this Thai-inspired sauce. Serve as a side dish along with grilled chicken or shrimp. TIP: This taste awesome just at it is, without grilling the watermelon. Your choice.
1 tbsp (15 mL) lime zest
¼ cup (60 mL) freshly squeezed lime juice
2 tbsp (30 mL) liquid honey
2 tsp (10 mL) garlic chili sauce
1 medium sized watermelon at room temperature (you will need 16 slices, there will be leftovers for later)
1 tbsp (15 mL) fresh chopped cilantro
- Preheat BBQ on high.
- In medium bowl whisk together lime zest, juice, honey, and garlic chili sauce. Set aside.
- Cut watermelon into quarters and then cut into sixteen 1-inch (2.5 cm) thick wedges.
- Grill until just browned, about 2 minutes per side. Place watermelon slices on a plate and drizzle with lime dressing. Garnish with cilantro.
Each serving contains: 189 calories, 0.9 g total fat, 0 g sat fat, 0 g trans fats, 40 mg sodium 48 g carbs, 2 g fibre, 3.5 g protein