This make-ahead crowd pleasing rhubarb trifle is the one of the easiest and most delicious desserts I’ve ever created. You can taste the sweet and the tart from the rhubarb and the yogurt. Bonus points – compared to other trifles this one is extremely low in fat and a serving contains 9.5 g of protein.
Professional home economist tip: You need to make this the day before for the cookies to soften.
7 cups (1.75 L) chopped rhubarb, cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) pieces, packed well
1 cup (250 mL) granulated sugar
2 tbsp (30 mL) water
1 tbsp (15 mL) finely grated fresh ginger
2 – 500 g containers 0% MF strawberry Greek yogurt
2 – 5.3 oz (150 g) packages giant lady finger cookies (there should be 20-24 lady fingers in total) – I used Milano it’s made in a peanut free environment
- Place the rhubarb, sugar, water, and ginger into a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir together, once the sugar melts the rhubarb will start to soften.
- Bring to the boil, reduce to simmer and cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the rhubarb is very tender, about 10-15 minutes. This should make 4 cups (1 L), if you have more, continue simmering until you have 4 cups (1L).
- Remove from heat, cool, and store in the fridge for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- To assemble the trifle: Remove ½ cup (125 mL) of the rhubarb mixture and set aside. In a large bowl mix together the remaining rhubarb and both containers of the strawberry yogurt until well blended.
- Note: you will either have 20 or 24 lady fingers in total. Divide the total by four layers and either use 5 or 6 lady fingers per layer of the trifle.
- In a large 10-12 cup (2.5-3 L) trifle bowl place 5 or 6 of the lady fingers flat side down. Top with 1 ¾ cup (425 mL) of the rhubarb/yogurt mixture. Spread out well. Repeat, place 5 or 6 lady fingers on top of rhubarb/yogurt mixture gently pressing down. Top with 1 ¾ cup (425 mL) of the rhubarb/yogurt mixture. Repeat placing 5 or 6 lady fingers on top of the rhubarb/yogurt mixture, top with remaining 1 ¾ cups (425 mL) of the rhubarb/yogurt mixture. Repeat with the remaining lady fingers and the rhubarb/strawberry mixture. Spoon reserved rhubarb on top. Cover and store in the fridge for at least 12 hours, preferably overnight. Serve in bowls.
Makes 12 servings = approximately 1 cup (250 mL)
One serving = 247 calories, 1.4 g total fat, 0 sat fat, 0 trans fat, 11 mg sodium, 50 g carbs, 2.2 g fibre, 36.4 g sugars, 9.5 g protein.