Serves – 4
Elegant enough to serve to company and easy enough to make weekly – this is a fabulous recipe to add to your repertoire.
14 oz. (400 g) boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 4 equal pieces
1 – 14 fl. oz. (398 mL) can apricots
3 Tbsp (45 mL) frozen orange juice concentrate
1/3 cup (75 mL) mango chutney – I like Pataks’ Major Grey
1 Tbsp (15 mL) lower sodium soy sauce
1 large really ripe mango
1. Preheat the oven to 425F (220C.) Line an 8-inch square (2 L) metal baking pan with wet parchment paper. Lay the chicken on top.
2. Drain the apricots making sure to reserve 1/3 cup (75 mL) of the liquid. Set the apricots aside.
3. Mix the reserved liquid together with the orange juice concentrate, mango chutney and the soy sauce. Pour over the chicken.
4. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until done.
5. While it’s cooking; cut and peel the mango. Cut it into 1″(2 cm) slices. Set aside, along with the apricots.
6. When the chicken is cooked [an internal temperature 165°F (74°C) is reached], pour the liquid into a frying pan. Leave the chicken in the pan and cover. Turn the heat onto high and add the apricots and mango. Bring to a boil and leave it to reduce for about 5 minutes until slightly thickened. Pour it over the chicken. Serve.
Each serving contains
300 Calories, 2 g Total Fat, 0.5 Sat Fat, 0 g Trans Fat, 300 mg Sodium, 38 g CHO, 3 g Fiber, 30 g Protein
Can’t find canned apricots?
Use fresh or dried ones and add 1/3 cup (75 mL) apricot nectar which you find in the juice aisle. Most brands are sold in Tetra Pak packaging and are usually with the drink boxes.
What is frozen orange juice concentrate and where do I find it?
It is the frozen juice that you find in the frozen juice aisle. You knew that.
What does a really ripe mango look like?
Mangoes are in season from May to September. Look for heavy ones that have a skin that is golden yellow with red mottling. This will be a deliciously ripe mango loaded with flavour and nutrition. Keep a ripened mango in the fridge for up to 4 days. To ripen a green mango, store it in a paper bag on the counter till the skin turns that golden yellow colour.