I have a couple of foodie pet peeves. The first one is calling sweet potatoes yams.
To see yet anther one of my teaching lessons on the difference check out my web series My Left Frying Pan
And the second is calling cocoa hot chocolate. They are sooooooooooooooooo different.
Hot chocolate is made with milk and melted chocolate. It’s like a mug of decadence complete with the calories and fat to go with it; great as a dessert, but not to be drunk every day unless you don’t mind gaining about 3 pounds a week for the entire winter.
Cocoa is made with milk and cocoa powder, less calories, heart healthy, still delicious but a better option to have on a regular basis. I drink it most days in the winter, I like feeling like a kid.
Basic Cocoa for One
An adult version that’s not too sweet. Buy a mini whisk, sometimes called a cocoa whisk to make sure your cocoa is lump free. I used Giddy YoYo natural cocoa powder available in health food stores or online
1 cup (250 mL) skim milk, divided
2 Tbsp. (30 mL) natural cocoa powder
1 Tbsp. (15 mL) sugar or sweetener of choice
- Pour milk into a small saucepan. Heat to steaming.
- Add cocoa powder and sugar and whisk in.
- Whisk until frothy. Pour into a mug and serve.
Each serving made with skim milk contains: 180 Calories, 2 g Total Fat, 0 g Sat Fat, 0 g Trans Fat, 120 mg Sodium, 31 g Carbs, 2 g Fiber, 11 g Protein
Variation a la Mexicano: add a pinch of red pepper flakes and ¼ tsp (1 mL) cinnamon to the milk while it is heating up.
This Chai inspired hot cocoa has the antioxidant powers of cocoa, cinnamon, cloves, allspice, and cardamom to help ward off a cold and warm your soul.
2 cups (500 mL) skim milk, divided
6 whole green cardamom seeds
4 whole black cardamom seeds
½ tsp (2 mL) each of whole black pepper corns, whole allspice, & whole cloves
¼ cup (60 mL) natural cocoa powder
2 tbsp (30 mL) sugar or sweetener of your choice
1 tsp. (5 ml) ground cinnamon
- Pour 1 2/3 cup (400 mL) of milk into a small saucepan.
- Add the green cardamom, black cardamom, black peppercorns, whole allspice and whole cloves to pot.
- Heat over medium heat till the milk starts to steam.
- Cover, reduce heat to low and steep spices and milk together for 10 minutes.
- Make a paste with the cocoa powder, sugar, ground cinnamon and 1/3 cup (75 mL) of the milk.
- Whisk into steamy milk. Stir till frothy. Strain into two mugs and serve.
Each serving made with skim milk contains: 180 Calories, 1 g Total Fat, 0.6 g Sat Fat, 0 Trans Fat, 121 mg Sodium, 31 g Carbs, 2.6 g Fiber, 11 g Protein
Basic Hot Chocolate for one
Rich and creamy this hot chocolate is a mini meal. Check out the calories below before you start whipping this one up. I serve it as a dessert.
1 cup (250 mL) skim milk
2 oz (50 g) of your favourite chocolate bar, broken up into pieces, I prefer high end dark chocolate
- Pour milk into a small saucepan. Heat over medium heat until milk is steamy. Reduce heat to low.
- Add broken pieces of chocolate and whisk till chocolate is melted.
- Pour into a mug and serve.
Each serving made with skim milk contains: 416 Calories, 24 g Total Fat, 14 g Sat Fat, 0 g Trans Fat, 127 mg Sodium, 38 g Carbs, 6 g Fiber, 13 g Protein