This quick and easy side dish can help lower your blood pressure thanks to the potassium in the carrots and the parsnips.
2 large carrots, scrubbed well, unpeeled, sliced into ¼ -inch slices
2 large parsnips, scrubbed well, unpeeled, sliced into ¼ -inch slices
1 onion, sliced thinly
2 tsp (10 mL) canola oil
2 tbsp (30 mL) freshly squeezed orange juice, including pulp
1 tsp (5 mL) orange zest
¼ tsp (1 mL) cracked black pepper
- Heat a large non stick frying pan over medium heat.
- Add oil and onions. Sauté until golden brown, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add carrots and parsnips. Sauté for 4 minutes or until carrots and parsnips are tender crisp.
- Add orange juice, cover with a lid and lower heat to simmer, and cook for 2 minutes.
- Scrub orange, dry, using a microplane, zest orange. Set aside.
- Remove lid, sprinkle with orange zest and pepper, toss well, remove from heat and serve.
Makes – 2 cups (500 mL)
One serving = ½ cup
One serving contains:
103 Calories, 2.6 g Total Fat, 0 g Sat Fat, 0 g Trans Fat, 33 mg Sodium, 19.5 g Carbs,
4 g Fiber, 6.9 g Sugar, 2 g Protein
Diabetes Food Choice Values Per Serving
1 Carbohydrates, ½ Fat