Kid Friendly, if they already like spinach
This quick and easy side dish is beautiful to look at and packs a great flavour balance of sweet, tart, and tang. Serve with fish or poultry.
8 cups (2 L) baby spinach
½ cup (125 mL) fresh blueberries, don’t substitute frozen
1 tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
1 small shallot, minced
1-2 tbsp (15-30 mL) balsamic vinegar
- Wash and spin dry baby spinach. Set aside.
- Rinse blueberries well under cold running water. Let drain. Place on a paper towel to dry. Sort through and remove any stems.
- Heat a large frying pan over medium heat. Add oil and shallot. Sauté for 3-5 minutes or until shallots are starting to turn a light golden colour.
- Add spinach and blueberries, stir fry until the spinach is just beginning to wilt.
- Sprinkle with vinegar, toss well. Remove spinach and blueberries with a slotted spoon. If there is any liquid in the frying pan, turn heat up and reduce until it’s slightly thickened. Spoon over spinach and blueberries, serve.
Make approx. 2 cups (500 mL)
One serving = ½ cup (125 mL)
One serving contains:
75 Calories, 3.7 g Total fat, 0 g Sat Fat, 0 g Trans Fat, 122 mg Sodium, 8.2 g Carbs, 3 g Fiber, 2.5 g Sugars, 3 g Protein
Diabetes Food Choice Values Per Serving
1 Extra, ½ Meat and Alternatives, 1 Fat
Why can’t I use frozen blueberries? I think that they became too mushy.