Cranberry Orange Muffins
Makes – 12
1 cup (250 mL) oat bran
1 omega-3 egg
1 ¼ cups (300 mL) buttermilk
1 cup (250 mL) dark brown sugar, packed
1 cup (250 mL) whole wheat flour
¾ cup (175 mL) ground flaxseed
1 tsp. (5 mL) baking powder
1 tsp. (5 mL) baking soda
2 Tbsp. (30 mL) cinnamon
1 cup (250 mL) dried cranberries
1 cup (250 mL) fresh or frozen whole cranberries
Zest of 1 orange
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C.) Line a muffin tin with paper cup liners.
2. In a large bowl mix together all the wet ingredients: oat bran, egg, buttermilk and the brown sugar.
3. In a medium bowl using a wire whisk or a fork mix together all the dry ingredients: whole wheat flour, ground flaxseed, walnuts, baking powder, baking soda, and the cinnamon. Add the dried cranberries, whole cranberries and the zest from the orange.
4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
5. Scoop into muffin cups. Bake for 20 – 25 minutes or until done.
Lentil and Hulless Oats Salad
Makes – 5 cups (1.25 L)
Serves – 4 – 1 ¼ cup (300 mL) servings
The night before or earlier in the day:
1 cup (250 mL) hulless oats
2 cups (500 mL) water
¼ cup (60 mL) apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp (30 mL) cold pressed canola oil or extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp (5 mL) grainy Dijon mustard
¼ tsp (1 mL) cinnamon
Pinch of cayenne
1 – 19 fl oz. /540 mL can lentils, drained and rinsed
2 cups (500 mL) cooked hulless oats
1 cup (250 mL) coarsely chopped fresh parsley, loosely packed
¾ cup (175 mL) diced red onion
1 cup (500 mL) dried cranberries
¼ cup (60 mL) finely chopped fresh mint
1. In a medium saucepan add oats and water. Bring to the boil; reduce to simmer, and gently boil for 25-35 minutes. Remove from heat, let sit covered for 10 minutes, remove lid and cool. Store in a covered container overnight or let cool to room temperature and add to the salad.
2. In a large bowl whisk together vinegar, oil, Dijon, cinnamon and cayenne. Add drained and rinsed lentils. Toss.
3. Toss in cooked oats and toss until just combined.
4. Add parsley, red onion, dried cranberries and mint. Toss until just combined. Serve. Store any leftovers covered in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Each 1 ¼ cup (300 mL) serving contains