Foods to eat on a regular basis:
- Back to basics foods
- Fruits and vegetables
- Whole grains
- Nuts- especially walnuts
- Omega-3 rich foods (see list below)
- Pomegranates or pomegranate juice – only 1/4 -1/2 cup a day
Omega-3 foods that are available at your local grocery store:
- Salmon – canned or fresh
- Anchovies – canned or fresh
- Mackerel – canned or fresh
- Flaxseed – ground
- Canola oil
- Omega-3 eggs
Watch Dina and I on BT Toronto FYI: Dina was right I was wrong – it was Michelangelo! I am putting my brain cramp down to my lack of sleep – see below.
Activities that help:
· Stay active – exercise may be one of the best ways to reduce your chances of developing Alzheimer’s
· A good night’s sleep – you need between 7-8 hours a night to let your brain reboot.
· Relaxation – meditation, deep breathing, and yoga
· Try new experiences – doing the same old same old doesn’t challenge your brain, this one of the main reasons I did the Edge Walk on the CN Tower – terrifying, but so mind expanding!
· Learning a new language or a musical instrument has been shown over and over again to help with brain plasticity.
· Stay socially active and keep wide circles of friendships
· Reduce or eliminate simple sugar consumption – cakes, cookies, pastries, doughnuts, candy, pop