serves – 4
We all know we’re supposed to eat more veggies and whole grains, choose healthier fats, and add nuts, sparingly to our diet. This recipe does it all.
¾ cup (175 mL) lower sodium chicken stock
3 Tbsp (45 mL) oyster sauce, see below
2 tsp (10 mL) chili garlic sauce, see below
1 ½ tsp ( 7.5 mL) cornstarch
2 tsp (10 mL) canola oil
1 large sweet onion
4 cups ( 1 L) broccoli, I prefer the tops or flowers but you can use the whole stalk
½ cup (125 mL) unsalted cashews
2 cups(500 mL) cooked whole wheat pasta OR
2 cups(500 mL) cooked brown rice
1 serving of the pasta or rice = 1/2 cup
1. Mix together the sauce ingredients and set aside.
2. Cut the onion into ¼ “/0.6 cm diagonal slices.
4. Heat a non stick frying pan or a wok. Add the oil. Add the onion. Stir fry for 30 seconds.
5. Add the broccoli and stir fry for 2-4 minutes or until it’s tender crisp.
6. Add the sauce ingredients and stir until the sauce thickens. Add cashews. Serve over cooked pasta or rice.
Each serving without rice or pasta contains- 157 Calories, 5.6 g protein, 10.9 g fat, 3.0 g fibre, 217 mg sodium, and 12 g carbohydrate.
My favourite oyster sauce and chili garlic sauce are both made by Kikkoman. Neither of them contain MSG and they are both loaded with flavour. You can find them in most grocery stores in the Asian section.