Makes 6 cups
This Spanish style stuffing is cooked outside of the bird in a separate pan reducing the cooking time of the turkey and in the process becoming a dressing. In the bird = stuffing, outside the bird = dressing.
Cook the dressing in the oven during the last 60 minutes your turkey is roasting.
Saffron was introduced to Spain by the Moors in the 8th century. This ancient spice lends a warm, spicy flavour to this dressing. Make sure to buy saffron threads, not the powder for a truly authentic flavour.
1/8 tsp.(pinch) saffron threads, approx 10
½ cup 9125 mL) lower sodium turkey or chicken stock
½ cup (125 mL) white wine – preferably Spanish
2 tbsp (30 mL) extra virgin olive oil
3 Chorizo sausages, if not available use spicy Italian sausage
2 cups (500 mL) diced Spanish onion, approx. ½ a large Spanish onion
4 cloves garlic, minced
2/3 cup (150 mL) Muscat raisins, if not available use Thompson
½ cup (125 mL) stuffed Manzanilla olives, chopped
½ cup (125 mL) almonds or hazelnuts, chopped
1 tsp (5 mL) Spanish paprika
6 cups (1.5 L) cubed stale 100% whole grain whole wheat bread, approx. 6 slices
3 tbsp (45 mL) diced fresh parsley
1. In a small glass measuring cup combine the chicken stock and white wine. Add the saffron and let sit for 15 minutes.
2. Heat a large non stick pan over medium heat.
3. Add the olive oil. Squeeze the sausage meat out of the casing.
4. Cook until browned and cooked through. Remove from pan using a slotted spoon. Set aside.
5. Add onions to the pan and cook over medium low heat stirring occasionally until golden brown, approx. 5 minutes.
6. Add the garlic, raisins, olives, nuts, and paprika. Crumble in the cooked sausage meat. Mix well.
7. Add the bread crumbs and parsley and stir till well combined.
8. Pour the saffron wine/stock liquid over top and stir until the bread is well moistened. If it looks dry add another ¼ cup (60 mL) of stock. Can be made 1 day ahead. Store mixture in fridge.
9. When ready to cook, 1 hour before the turkey is done, cut a piece of parchment paper to fit into a 9×13 inch(3.5 L) metal baking dish. Run water over the parchment paper and squeeze out excess. Line pan with the damp paper. Or line pan with foil.
10. Spoon the dressing into the pan. Cover with another piece of damp parchment paper or foil.
11. Bake at 325 F/ 160 C. for 30 minutes. Remove cover and bake 30 minutes more.