This is a quick and easy all-in-one meal soup. It’s packed with outstanding veggies, like tomatoes, carrots, onions and kale, whole grain pasta, healthy extra virgin olive oil and cholesterol lowering beans. I made this on TV one morning and the crew gobbled it up. A true testimonial – eating beans at 8:00 a.m.; it’s was either delicious or the crew were out of their minds. I’m going with it was delicious.
1 Tbsp + 1 tsp (20 mL) extra virgin olive oil
1 large onion, diced
2 large carrots, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 – 28 fl oz (796 mL) can diced tomatoes
1- 19 fl oz (540 mL) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
2 cups (500 mL) lower sodium chicken stock
1 ½ (375 mL) cups water
4 cups (1 L) chopped kale, spinach
¼ cup (50 mL) whole wheat rotini
½ tsp (2 mL) red pepper flakes
¼ tsp (1 mL) pepper
2 Tbsp (30 mL) fresh basil, chopped
2 Tbsp (30 mL) balsamic, optional
1. Heat a large pot over medium heat; add the oil and the onion and sauté till almost cooked, approx. 5 minutes, stirring often.
2. Add the carrots and the garlic. Sauté for 3 minutes, stirring often.
3. Add the tomatoes, beans, chicken stock and the water.
4. Bring to the boil. Add the kale, whole wheat rotini, red pepper flakes and pepper. Bring back to the boil, cover, reduce heat to simmer and cook for 10 – 12 minutes or until the pasta is cooked.
5. Add the basil and balsamic if using, stir and serve. If desired sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
Makes – 10 cups (2.5 L)
Serves – 6 – 1 ½ cups (375 mL) serving
Each 1 ½ cups (375 mL) serving contains
210 Calories, 4 g Total fat, 0.5 g Sat Fat, 0 g Trans Fat, 490 mg Sodium, 33 g CHO, 10 g Fiber, 10 g Protein