A much better choice than a commercial muffin – these muffins are one of my all-time favourites. Compared to most commercial muffins that have 400-450 calories and 0-2 g of fibre these muffins have 180 calories with 6 grams of fibre. Moist and delicious they are great as a snack or as part of a healthy lunch.
Whole wheat flour is not a whole grain flour. The germ has been removed to increase shelf life. I add the wheat germ back, making this muffin an even healthier choice. Store wheat germ in your fridge or freezer.
Makes – 12 Kid Friendly
1 cup (250 mL) whole wheat flour
¾ cup (175 mL) wheat bran
¾ cup (175 mL) ground flaxseed
2 tbsp (30 mL) wheat germ
¼ cup (60 mL) chocolate chips at least 60% cocoa mass – see nutrient breakdown below for with and without chocolate chips.
1 ½ tsp (7 mL) baking powder
1 tsp (5 mL) baking soda
2 Tbsp (30 mL) cinnamon
1 ½ cups (375 mL) mashed banana, approx. 4 really ripe bananas
¾ cup (175 mL) dark brown sugar ( you can decrease this to 1/2 cup (125 mL) if desired)
¾ cup (175 mL) buttermilk
1 omega-3 egg
1. Preheat the oven to 400F° (200C°). Line a muffin tin with paper cup liners.
2. In a large bowl using a fork or a wire whisk mix together all the dry ingredients: whole wheat flour, wheat bran, flaxseed, wheat germ, chocolate chips if using, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon.
3. In a medium bowl beat together all the wet ingredients: mashed banana, brown sugar, buttermilk and egg. The mashed banana really needs to be mixed in well
4. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix till just combined.
5. Scoop into muffin cups and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until done.
Each muffin contains with chocolate chips: 180 Calories, 5 g Total fat, 1 g Sat Fat, 0 Trans Fat, 170 mg Sodium, 36 g Carbs, 6 g Fibre, 5 g Protein
Each muffin without chocolate chips: 154 calories, 3.4 g Total Fat, 0 g Sat Fat, 0 Trans Fat, 170 mg sodium, 33 g Carbs, 6 g Fibre, 5 g Protein