From Healthy Starts Here!
Psyllium (pronounced sill-ee-um) the p is silent, is powerful stuff. Aside from keeping you regular, this soluble fibre can lower your cholesterol, helping to reduce your chances of developing heart disease, and for the diabetics in the crowd it can help manage blood glucose levels.
One a day is all you need, but make sure that you drink an extra glass or two of water, too much fibre and not enough liquids can leave you constipated.
I created this recipe for a neighbour of mine who was constipated from pain meds while she was in the hospital. These are serious muffins. No fooling around with these babies, just don’t forget the extra water to drink!
¾ cup (175 mL) buttermilk
¾ cup (175 mL) dark brown sugar, packed
¾ cup (175 mL) whole psyllium husks – see below to buy the right type
1 omega-3 egg
1 ½ cups (375 mL) mashed banana, approx. 4 really ripe frozen, thawed bananas – see below
1 cup (250 mL) whole wheat flour
¾ cup (175 mL) ground flaxseed
2 tbsp (30 mL) wheat germ
¼ cup (60 mL) walnuts, finely chopped
¼ cup (60 mL) chocolate chips at least 60% cocoa mass or 70% cocoa mass chocolate chunks
2 tbsp (30 mL) cinnamon
1 ½ tsp (7 mL) baking powder
1 tsp (5 mL) baking soda
- Preheat the oven to 400Fº (200Cº). Line a muffin tin with large paper cup liners. Try non-stick baking cups.
- In a large bowl mix together buttermilk, brown sugar, psyllium, omega-3 egg and mashed bananas. Let sit 10 minutes. Stir well.
- In a medium bowl whisk together whole wheat flour, ground flaxseed, wheat germ, walnuts, chocolate chips, cinnamon, baking powder and baking soda.
- Pour into psyllium/banana mixture and mix well. The batter will be very thick.
- Scoop the batter equally into 12 muffin cups and bake for 20-25 minutes or until done.
- Remove from muffin tin and cool on a wire rack for 3 hours. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Makes 12 muffins
One muffin contains:
208 Calories, 7 g Total Fat, 1.6 g Sat Fat, 0 g Trans Fat, 182 mg Sodium, 40 g Carbs, 10 g Fibre, 19.1 g Sugar, 5 g Protein
Diabetes Food Choice Values Per Serving
2 Carbohydrates, 1 ½ Fats
You can find psyllium husks in the health section of larger groceries stores, if not try your local health food store. Don’t use powdered psyllium unless you are planning on making crafts afterwards. Powdered psyllium is the type that you dissolve in water to drink. Left alone it turns into a cement block.
Why do I have to use frozen thawed bananas?
Freezing really ripe bananas helps break down the cell walls inside the fruit, making them extremely mushy, and providing much needed moisture for the psyllium. Freeze the bananas whole in their peels. The day you need them? Thaw, cut off the tops, and squeeze the mushy banana into a bowl. Voilá, really mushy full of moisture bananas, perfect for this recipe.