This family friendly bean salad is a quick and easy lunch or dinner idea. Get your kids involved washing veggies and spinning the parsley dry.
3 cloves garlic
2 tbsp (30 mL) apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp (15 mL) extra virgin olive oil or canola oil
2 tbsp (30 mL) sun dried tomatoes in oil
One- 19 fl oz (540 mL) can mixed beans, drained and rinsed – see sidebar
2 stalks celery, diced
1 cup (250 mL) grape tomatoes cut in half
1 large orange pepper, diced
½ cup (125 mL) finely sliced green onions or chives
½ cup (125 mL) fresh parsley, chopped (wash and spin dry in a salad spinner so the salad doesn’t get watery)
Cracked black pepper to taste
- Mince garlic and set aside.
- Whisk together the salad dressing: the apple cider vinegar and oil together in a small bowl. Add garlic.
- Place sun dried tomatoes on a paper towel to absorb any excess oil. Chop finely. Set aside.
- In a large bowl toss together the salad ingredients: the beans, celery, grape tomatoes, orange pepper, green onions or chives, and parsley. Add sun dried tomatoes.
- Pour dressing over top and toss well. Serve.
Makes 5 cups (1.25 L)
One serving = 1 cup (250 mL)
One serving contains:
179 calories, 4.9 g total fat, 0.6 g sat fat, 0 g trans fat, 245 mg sodium, 27.1 g carbs, 8 g fibre, 2.5 g sugar, 9 g protein
Diabetes Food Choice Values Per Serving
1 ½ carbohydrates, 1 meat and alternative, ½ fat
During the hot summer months, keep a can of mixed beans in your fridge. Whenever you want to make this recipe the beans are cold and ready to go, just open, drain, rinse and toss into a green salad.